Monday, February 19, 2007

the 3-month or year cycle


I used to think my life ran in 3 year cycles of renewal - i.e. every 3 years new and marvelous things would happen to me - in my career mostly. IN '96 I got my first professional theatre gig...By 1999, I had booked several film gigs including a recurring role on a series...which was promptly cancelled after NBC f^$cked up their airing schedule putting the World Series between episodes 2 and 3, killing the chances of anyone remembering to actually watch the show even if they liked it. The writing was pretty good, and I am not just saying that - better than a lot of schlock on TV right now...but I do have fond memories of the current husband on Gilmore Girls tucking me into bed. I digress...

SOoooo, this only lasted 2 cycles, because in 2002 nothing extraordinary happened - I had moved to Toronto in 2001 hoping to continue my successful climb, but it got stunted instead as I exchanged my fabulous one-bedroom in Van and pretty secure day job for a walk-up with 2 roomates and a serving job....and the occastional gig at Second City did not seem to compensate.

Accordingly, this theory fell by the wayside, when I went back to school in 2003 and finally changed careers in 2004. (Those of you in the know, are aware that I am slowly but surely trying to work my way back into the "BIZ" with an audition here or there...as you can never kill the beast)

BUT, as I reflect on it now - one can say that 2005 saw me back on the cycle- as I got my first and pretty spot-on industry-wise job in my new industry (that of managing culture and heritage) and moved back to Vancouver. At first, the first 5 months especially, I thought this perhaps a very bad move - missing the hustle and bustle and friends of back east, but in hindsight I believe the move back has allowed me to grow and reevaluate life goals in ways that being busy keeping the wolves at the door would not.

I had that kind of weekend - reflective, reevaluative, renewing...so I signed up for eharmony - yes I am paying the psychological internet gurus to help me find a mate...I have paid more for worse things - they are hanging in the back of my closet, unworn.

This came about by accident really. Not having any plans on a Saturday night, seeing an advertisement on the side of a vehicle while shopping for groceries lead me to the website - knowing 2 other sane individuals who had tried it with moderate to very good success...so why not? 2 hours, 200 questions and my friend on the phone to help me fill out the 'how do your friends see you' questions...I'm in...when does the offer I sign up for end? Curiously 3 months from now on the very day of my birthday...also the deadline I have given myself for creating professional karma...Suddenly, I have a very good feeling about 3 again.

No comments: